Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blog Summary

This year in RTVF 131 I learned some new things, expanded my knowledge on a few subjects I wasn't really up to knowledge on and learned some brand new stuff altogether. I came into this class thinking I really knew the subject and it wound up really kicking me in the ass and it made me really research everything and come away a much smarter student at the subject when it was all said and done.

When I signed up for this class, I figured I knew a lot about the subject. It was just talking about radio. I know TV very, very well and I knew a enough about radio that I thought it could get me by. When I actually took the first class I realized that while I knew a solid amount, the rest of the class were experts. If I were to hold my own in this class, I would really have to put the pedal to the metal and really crack down and read a ton of information just so I could discuss things in class and not sound like I had no idea what I was talking about. I thank my fellow classmates for indirectly motivating me to become more well-versed in the subject.

One of my favorite things about this class has been the weekly blog posts. I feel that this was a much more effective way of gaging our knowledge of the subject as opposed to any other method I've seen in a class I've taken. It allows us to be ourselves and regurgitate what we know about the subject without having to be too formal about it. I feel the ability to be informal allows us as students to use language we would not otherwise use on an academic level and therefore have an easier time getting our thoughts from head to computer. I also was a fan of the length each entry was required to be. While most teachers would say to put 2-3 pages per entry, you allowed us to put enough that would allow us to make a commentary on the subject that was thorough and well thought out, which could be 1-2 paragraphs or 1-2 pages. The flexibility there allowed me to stay away from the bullshitting that happens on so many levels in college and just stick to the facts.

I feel I really got what I was supposed to get out of this class and I feel I'm coming out of this class a smarter person not only on the subject but as a whole because I was exposed to this new "system" that helped push aside the bullshit and get straight to the facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment